Monday, September 21, 2009

I've got my resume but Unofficial Transcript????? And there's only 1 day left!

So there is one day left until the Career Fair, and I feel like I have been throwing this fact at you for a while now, so I'm going to move on to the APPLICATION phase (which for many companies happens before the Career Fair!!!).

I am ashamed to say for the first time in 3 years here at WPI I applied for a job using Job Finder. Insert gasps of horror and amazement here. I may use the system daily, but I found my previous internship through a family friend, and went about things that way. As many deadlines are fast approaching and several companies require you to apply in additional places (like through their website in addition to Job Finder).

I checked to see how my resume would look to potential employers to discover that the formatting was somehow changed in the process of uploading a word document onto Job Finder! Sometimes without warning it will change your margins or font on you during the upload process. Today I went back through and fixed this problem by going on a campus computer (my laptop doesn't have the capability), opening up my resume, and going to "Save As" and choosing "PDF or XPS Document." Presto problem solved!! I'd highly recommend this if you are uploading your own resume, especially if you are an upperclassman who has maybe possibly changed the margins to fit everything you've done on there (like me! :-) ). It's one of those things that only take a minute to do but will make you look more professional!

I also found a job posting that looked really interesting, and when I went to submit my resume I hit a major snag: they wanted to see my Unofficial Transcript.... what?? If you're like me and are thinking "How on earth do I do that??" So I tried and struggled to find the best way to do this. If you copy and paste it into Word, there are a ton of formatting issues, and it's the same with Excel... But finally I figured it out and am sharing it with all of you! Follow these fairly simple instructions!

1) Go on a campus computer (unless you have pdf/Snagit capabilities on your personal computer... which I don't).
2) Login to your Bannerweb Account, and go to "Student Services and Financial Aid" then to "Student Records" then to "Unofficial Transcript" and finally hit "Submit."
3) Open up "Snagit." If you aren't familiar with the program, now is a great opportunity to learn (if you are then you probably don't need the rest of these steps)!!
4) Choose the "Scrolling Window (web page)" under "Basic Capture Profiles."
5) Bring up the window with your Unofficial Transcript (make sure your scroll bar is at the top!), and then bring up the Snagit window.
6) Click on the giant red "Capture" button on Snagit, and then click on the middle of the window containing your Unofficial Transcript.
7) Let Snagit do its thing!!! Your Unofficial Transcript will scroll to the bottom.
8) At this point the Snagit Editor should be open.
9) Go to the "Image" tab in Snagit, and highlight your transcript from the top where it says "Transcript Data" to the bottom where it says "Unofficial Transcript" under the last semester listed.
10) Hit the crop button (top left of the toolbar).
11) Save as a pdf file! (Don't forget to save on your toaster drive... not the computer!)
12) Upload the document into your Job Finder Account as an Unofficial Transcript.

13) APPLY FOR JOBS!!!!!






Anyways... I hope this helps all of you to apply for jobs this term!

Best of luck at the Career Fair to you all!! If you dress for success, bring your resume, and are confident nothing can stop you! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment