Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Career Fair is only 2 weeks away!?!?!?!

So, lately my blogs have consisted of my epic journey to discover the perfect resume before the career fair... ok well maybe not perfect but as close as I can get to it. Today I had some down time and updated my resume with all of the suggestions I got from the last time I got it critiqued and added in my IQP. As I hope all of you know, Walk-In appointments are offered every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 1-3 pm. Today, I checked the time and it was 2:15, and I thought "OK perfect I can fit in a critique before 3, AWESOME." Needless to say, by 2:15 all of the slots for critiques had already been booked. This happens every year once the Career Fair comes around, I just didn't realize that it was that time of year already!!

In case this has happened to you as well, I have a few suggestions.
1) DON'T GIVE UP. There are still plenty of ways to get your resume critiqued! Sitting around and complaining that you couldn't get an appointment will get you nowhere!
2) Resumazing may just be your lifesaver, as it's on September 17th from 1 to 7 pm.
3) Walk-Ins continue until the 16th, and if you get there early (and sooner rather than later) you shouldn't have a problem getting a spot.
4) There are a few appointments available if you can't make it to Walk-Ins (I can't stress enough that you need to act NOW to get these spots because they are going fast).
5) You still have the option to either email or drop off your resume at the CDC (cdc@wpi.edu) and pick it up 4 business days later. (If you decide to drop your resume off I would suggest getting it in by the 14th at the latest to make sure that you get it back in time for the fair)


And, if you still haven't started your resume yet (yes I am talking to YOU) the CDC has an extremely useful Resume Writing handout available either in the turnstile in the office or through your Job Finder account online (found in the Podcasts and Handouts section of the Documents tab). This handout includes samples of resumes that cover your entire WPI career from freshmen to seniors.



Lastly, BEST OF LUCK and go work on your resume... NOW! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment