Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Is it Friday yet???

I am having one of those weeks... You know the weeks where you have too much stuff to do and need another 10 hours in the day (15 if you want to get some sleep)? I know I wrote about how I needed to write my cover letter and I hate to say not much has changed in that department, it's just, as one of my friends puts it "You need to pass your classes before you can get a job." The thing that stinks about it though is that the job I need the cover letter for is practically my dream internship... I think. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm keeping my options open but this one is focused around alternative energy, which is a field I would really like to learn more about. The only problem with this internship (other than the whole cover letter fiasco) is that it would be fairly far away. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but money is tight lately and if I have the option, I'd rather stay close to my home or school so that I can save a little extra money. Like I said I am keeping every one of my options open, and I guess we'll see how it goes!!


Now onto happier news: I HAVE AN INTERVIEW!!!! I am super excited, but also wicked nervous because I haven't interviewed for anything in the past 3 years, and I think in total I've only had about three interviews. Needless to say, I have a mock interview scheduled for tomorrow. It's pretty interesting, because in addition to gaining an understanding as to what types of questions an employer might ask, the interview will also be video taped. I am still not too sure how I feel about this, as I feel like highlighting all of my nervous traits will just make me more nervous/self conscious about interviewing. A few of my friends have had mock interviews in the past and found watching the video to be extremely helpful, so I'm trusting them and going into it with an open mind... as nervous as I might be! The cool thing is that my mock interviewer is interviewing me for a job that I actually applied for, which will be helpful. I picked up an "Interview Process" handout from the CDC which has sample questions and helpful tips in it. I'd highly recommend looking through this packet if you have an interview coming up soon!


By the way, Mock Interviews at the CDC require 2 appointments (one initial appointment and then the actual interview), and if you haven't had one yet and would like one before an actual interview, make your appointment AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Companies don't always give you a lot of notice prior to scheduling interviews, and it never hurts to be prepared!!!


I'll keep you all posted on how things go for me, but until then good luck in your job hunting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment