Friday, January 22, 2010

What on earth do I want to do with my life??

So I came to WPI wanting to be a Mechanical Engineer, but I had no idea what I wanted to do within that field. It's pretty broad which is what attracted me to it in the first place!! I've got a little bit of experience in the manufacture of medical devices, and I was pretty convinced that that wasn't what I want to do. Then I found a internship posting near my house in a very similar field. Annnnd I'm really really interested in the position. More so than I expected to be. I wanted to use this summer to learn more about different fields so I could choose my field based off of experience, rather than my initial interest in certain fields. Like on the surface I am really interested in the concept of alternative energy. Sounds great right? Reality check, I hate materials, chemistry, and ECE - the three basics of most forms of alternative energy. I think that I just like the idea of it much more than the actual work required in those types of positions. This leaves me wondering what on earth I want to do! I would really prefer not to work for the government, which is just a personal preference but still a fairly important factor in my search. I find the manufacturing part of the design process fairly boring, and I don't want to have a job where I sit in a cubicle crunching numbers.


Ok enough of my ranting and back to the reason I started this post, and the main dilemma for the day. Should I spend my last real summer break doing what I know, or in search of something that I'd love to do? I think I'll apply to the position anyways and see what happens... postpone the decision for a little longer and try to keep as open a mind as possible for now.... I've still got a year and a half before I need to decide right??

No comments:

Post a Comment