Tuesday, December 8, 2009

How to find a job over winter break!

While I've been having a little luck with my internship search, I know many of you are having a hard time finding internships and full time positions in this economy. I'm not going to lie - it's tough, but definitely not impossible. This hiccup just means that you need to put in a little more effort into your search. Don't rely on getting emails telling you to apply for jobs, go out and search for them yourself!

So I know all of you reading this are probably dealing with finals right about now, so I'm going to give you a few things you should start doing now to prepare yourself to go into full job search mode while you're on break.

First - GET YOUR RESUME CRITIQUED!! Even if you've had it checked in the past, I'm sure SOMETHING has changed. Get it up to date and have it critiqued before break.

Second - Learn how to write a cover letter! If the bulk of your searching isn't going to happen til break you really can't do this ahead of time as they should be tailored for each position. Talk to a CDC counselor and/or check out some of the handouts and samples available in the CDC.

Third - Try to go on a mock interview. I know that this is one of the more time consuming suggestions I have but it's really worth it to be prepared. The skills you gain during your mock interview will undoubtedly help you in all of your interviews.


Note: I've just suggested 3 things. There's a ton else you can be working on too, but stick with these if you aren't sure where to start. I know it's finals week, and that you are all probably stressed and don't want to think about finding a job, but it's much easier to do while you're on campus!! Put in a little effort now and you'll be prepared come the Spring fairs!

Good luck and PLEASE start working on this stuff NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment