Monday, August 31, 2009

I love it when technology fails... at a tech school

Ok, well maybe not all technology, just that relating to me. Recently my computer died (big surprise if you happen to know my luck) and took along with it my most recent resume, which I happened to like quite a bit. I checked through every possible place I could have saved it in addition to my computer (because I tend to be paranoid about such things, with good reason) and could only find one from late January on my toaster drive. I guess it's better than nothing, and resume critiques are super easy to get, especially where I've still got a lot of time before the fall career fair. I think I'll try to make it to a walk in meeting with a counselor sometime this week. In case you didn't know Walk-In appointments are every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 1-3pm and generally last for 15 minutes. They give you an opportunity to ask just one major question (have your resume critiqued or a cover letter read over). This is perfect for me, because I still can't remember what on earth my schedule looks like for this term yet, so I'll stop by when I have some free time. Even though I blame my computer, it's a great idea to get your resume looked at minimally once a year, but I aim for twice, once in the fall and once in the spring (right before the major career fairs). Things change, maybe you got promoted, learned a new skill, took a useful course or gained a position in a club on campus and the counselors will be able to help you highlight everything you've done. Also, I'm hoping to get my resume checked before RESUMAZING which is Thursday, September 17th from 1-7 pm in the Odeum. Resumazing is a great event because recruiters from various companies will look over your resume with you and give you an idea of what it tells them. These are the people who review resumes for candidates at positions with their company, so I find their input extremely valuable in addition to the counselors' input. I'll give you all an update on how both critiques go, as I'm sure there will be all kinds of things I'll find out :-). Hope you're all having a great A-Term so far!!

1 comment: