Monday, November 16, 2009

Things I wish I knew earlier!

So if you've been reading this blog you know that I've been considering a job offer for a while now. I don't think it's a great fit for me, so I'm working on exploring other options. One thing I wish I knew how to use earlier was how to utilize Career Search. Career Search is a database that WPI subscribes to that you can access through your Job Finder account (there's a link to it under the quick links section). One of the main reasons why I feel like this intership would be a bad choice for me is the location, as I would prefer to be close to either my home or school. Career Search to the rescue!! You can use it to search through over 4 million companies in specific geographical locations that are in certain fields.


You may be asking why on earth do I want a list of a few hundred companies to research????

The answer is simple - over 80% of jobs out there aren't posted on online sites such as Monster. THAT'S A LOT OF JOBS!!!! Where could you possibly find these postings? Through the companies' websites! Most companies want YOU to find THEM.

So you, yes you, stop complaining that you can't find a job... I've heard enough of it!!! With a little effort you can quadruple the number of positions you are elgible for, it's all up to you though! If you are serious about finding a job be it an internship, co-op or full time position, put forth the effort, who knows maybe you'll find something that has everything you are looking for!

The database is fairly simple to use, but I'd recommend watching the Podcast on Career Search (available through your Job Finder account) if you have any problems with it.





What are you waiting for GO!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment